Primary Physical Education and Sports Premium
What is Sports Premium?
Sports Premium is funding provided by the government to improve the Physical Education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding will be allocated to primary school Head Teachers to be used to improve the provision of PE and school sports for all pupils and will be continued until the year 2020.
Click this link for the Government website access:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pe-and-sport-premium-funding-conditions-for-2016-to-2017
The Purpose of the Funding:
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. The funding should ensure:
· The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
· The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
· Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
· Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
· Increased participation in competitive sport
Aims of PE and School Sport at Headcorn Primary School:
Our Sporting Vision
At Headcorn Primary we believe that PE is a very important part of school life. The children feel that Headcorn is a “sporty school.”
We accept that PE promotes many aspects associated with a positive school experience and in turn a healthier lifestyle. These aspects include teamwork, good communication and pupil interaction. Most of all we feel that sport is for everyone, is about having fun and enjoying competition.
“Headcorn gives great opportunities for sporting excellence. It provides a great atmosphere to get involved and have fun whilst doing it.” – Year 5 Pupil
Everyone at Headcorn School understands that PE and School Sport should give lots of opportunities to try new things and find out what you are, and can be, really good at.
Our PE lessons allow us to develop physically as well as socially. The school will always strive to promote positive attitudes towards Physical Education.
“Sport is about trying your best, working hard and being determined!” – Year 5 Pupil
This vision was developed with, and includes the views of Headcorn's Sports Council
The PE leaders at Headcorn Primary School have worked hard alongside the Leadership Team to develop a strategic plan for using the government additional sports funding to ensure sustainable provision through the improvement of facilities and investing in staff training.
We aim to:
· Provide a wider variety of opportunities for all pupils regardless of sporting ability
· Provide increased opportunities to participate in local and regional tournaments
· Improve the quality of teaching and learning in PE and sports
· Promote our school values through PE and sporting activities
Our Sports Council is made up of pupils from Years 4,5&6. These children meet regularly to talk about matters relating to sport and physical activity at Headcorn School.
Each member of the Sports Council has a particular role or responsibility. These responsibilities range from making sure that our PE equipment is looked after and kept tidy, reporting on Sporting events that take place in school and even discussing how the school should spend the Sports Premium funding for the betterment of all pupils.